If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (972) 548-6044

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Hidden Fire Sources

3/22/2023 (Permalink)

What are the Hidden Fire Sources in Your Home?

Taking a glance around your home, do you know where a fire has the potential of starting? Candles, overloaded electrical outlets, and malfunctioning appliances are the most common sources of home fires and the ones most people think of. However, other items commonly found in your home can be a dangerous fire hazard and often go unnoticed. SERVPRO of Northeast Collin County / Greenville has compiled a list of potential home fire hazards often hidden from homeowners. (972)548-6044

Hidden Fire Sources – The List

Are you cognizant and mindful of your home’s potential fire hazards? Let’s Review!

Batteries – The fire risk potential is possible with batteries, even weak charged batteries. The battery type with the highest fire risk potential is the 9-volt due to the proximity of its terminals. It is not recommended to store batteries in metal containers. Original packing is the best storage option.

Dryer Lint – If you do not have your dryer vent or ductwork cleaned regularly, then a fire could be just a matter of time. Dryer lint can result in heat buildup and eventually, a fast-moving fire.

Microwaves – Microwaves can start a fire in many ways. Popcorn that is cooked too long. Undetected metals on dinnerware and takeout containers can result in arcing, sparks, and fire. Immediately turn off the microwave if a fire starts. Do not open the door until the fire is suffocated. Regular cleaning will also reduce fire potential. Never use a malfunctioning microwave. Replacement is the best choice.

Light Bulbs – The fire hazard with light bulbs is typical when using a light bulb with too high wattage for a given outlet. When using CFLs (compact fluorescents), make sure they are being used properly. LED bulbs should be used when a bulb with a cooler choice is needed.

Newspaper or Magazine Stacks – This is an obvious fire source if stored next to a heat source. Paper products should be stored in a cool, dry place in short stacks.

Laptops – Do not use a laptop on a bed or couch where the cooling vents are blocked. Laptops tend to run hot, and blocked vents exacerbate the situation.

Heating Blankets and Pads – Promptly replace defective or old heating blankets or pads. Improper usage can increase the risk of fire. Make sure and adhere to the manufacturer’s operating instructions. Recommended use is on the lowest setting for no longer than the recommended time. When washing, do not dry, iron, or dry clean.

Dust - Dust bunnies are fire hazards around electronics, sockets, and heaters, which can ignite and start a fire. Regularly vacuuming will reduce the fire potential — dust near outlets, wires, and appliances, including crevices and areas behind furniture.

Finally, check for worn insulation and decaying wiring in old appliances. These things are a disaster waiting to happen.

Don’t let your home catch fire because you missed one of the hidden fire hazards. SERVPRO of Northeast Collin County / Greenville can assist by supplying the information you need to make sure your home is safe. Call today at (972)548-6044!

Other News

View Recent Posts